In its early days, the Company had a flute band which was conducted by Captain Stewart himself, but later entrusted to Mr James Campbell a mission worker with a flair for music. Some years later in 1897 the Company also had a credited brass band. Sadly it is some time since the Company had its own band but it still enjoys strong links with the Stedfast Silver Band which was founded in 1983 to mark the Centenary of the BB under the direction of Mr Ian Armour, former organist of St Andrew's Church. In discussing the musical history of the Company, mention must be made of Mr Alex McLean, who in the late 1930s, volunteered to help out as pianist for the Company. His talent and skill made a remarkable difference to the annual Company Inspections until he retired in the 1970s.
In the Next 25 Years